ITIL, the Information Technology Infrastructure Library, is the most widely accepted IT-process management framework in the world. It has been accepted as the de facto standard for managing IT organisations worldwide.
ITIL describes the lifecycles and processes needed to manage an IT infrastructure efficiently and effectively in order to guarantee the service levels agreed upon by the IT organisation and its customers.
The Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management course is a detailed introduction to the structure, the philosophy and the lifecycle approach of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL). On completion of the course, participants will have a thorough knowledge of all of the ITIL Lifecycle. As well as covering the theory of the ITIL processes, the course covers the practical implications of this theory and how this theory can be applied in an organisation.
Participants will develop a thorough understanding of the ITIL Service Lifecycle model and how all of the activities and processes interrelate. The goal, the activities, the terminology, the application and the benefits will be discussed for each ITIL Lifecycle
The following topics will be covered in detail:
- An introduction to IT Service Management
- The Service Strategy Lifecycle
- Including the processes of Business Relationship Management, Service Portfolio Management and Financial Management
- The Service Design Lifecycle
- The major process being Service Level Management
- The other processes covered are Design Coordination, Availability Management, Capacity Management, Security Management, Supplier Management, IT Service Continuity Management, and Service Catalogue Management
- The Service Transition Lifecycle
- The major process being Change Management
- The other processes covered are Service Asset and Configuration Management, Release and Deployment Management, and Knowledge Management
- The Service Operation Lifecycle
- The major processes being Incident Management and Problem Management
- The other processes covered are Event Management, Access Management, and Request Fulfillment
- The Continual Service Improvement Lifecycle
- The functions and Roles required to manage an IT Service Organisation
- This includes Service Desk, Technical Management and Application Management
Among the benefits of using the ITIL methodology as a framework in an IT organisation are the following:
- Establishment of common terminology
- Consistency in the delivery of services
- Understanding of the business dependencies which influence IT service delivery
- A business understanding within the IT organisation
To be awarded the Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management, students will need to achieve a mark of 65% or greater in the exam. The Exam is a one hour, 40 question multiple choice exam which can be taken at the end of the three day course. The exam is optional and is an additional cost.